Vanha Raumantie 410, Masku
Fresh water beach with wheelchair and baby stroller access
Toilets – open during the summer season May-September
Kaidantie 111, Lemu
Beach by sea
Maanpääntie 175, Masku
Beach by the sea
Pikisaarentie 126, Askainen
Beach by the sea
Sauna and conference facilities for rent. Bookings: Jyrki Veräjänkorva tel. +358 40 5772 944
Vähä-Joumontie 70, Masku
Beach by the sea
Free sauna 1.6.-31.8.2018 and use of the beach on Wednesdays and Saturdays between 12–20.00.
Available for private use during other days 1.6. – 15.9.2018: Day rental 10 – 16.00 / 55€ and evening rental 17 – 22.00 / 60€ or the whole day 90€. Bookings: +358 44 7388299
Tracking trails – pick free berries and mushrooms
Marked with green dotted lines hiking paths in Masku leading also to Rusko and Raisio: Hiking trails
Kuhankuono inormation: Tracking trails in National Parks
Rivieran kierros walking or skiing in the winter. Walking on the ski track is forbidden: map
In the courtyard of the museum there are two outbuildings from the mid 19th century. These buildings were renovated in the beginning of the 1990’s and they are used as exhibition and storage rooms for the museum. The Masku museum was founded in 1974. It is situated in the village of Humikkala by Maskuntie road (the so called old Raumantie road) about 300 m southeast of Masku church.
Maskuntie 98, Masku
tel. +358 44 738 8260
The museum building dates back to the 1840’s and it has gone through several changes during the years. Originally, the building was a traditional two room cottage with a saddle roof and enclosed porch. Later on, an extra wing was built and its exterior was changed to neoclassical style witha hipped roof. In the 20th century, one of the main rooms and the enclosed porch were demolished and the entrance was moved to the wing. Among other things the building has served as an inn.
For decades the building served the authorities as well as individual travellers as an inn. However, in the beginning of 20th century the guests were mainly lodged in Nivola. The road leading to Turku was busy, and as automobiles became more common, the inn closed in Humikkala in the 1920’s.
The museum collection contains around 1600 pieces consisting mainly of peasant objects. In addition, the museum houses a book and newspaper collection of more than 450 exemplars.
There are separate exhibition rooms in the museum where art exhibitions are held in summer.
The Masku Rosarium, next to the Masku museum was founded in spring 1998 by the Masku-seura association. There is more 250 different kind of roses in this park and they are all marked with name tags. Best time to visit is late June to August.
Free entrance and parking.
The Masku Church
The Masku Church, built of grey stone probably in 1490-1510, a wooden part already in 1232. The surroundings represents one of the oldest parishes in Western Finland. The Masku parish was mentioned first time in 1234. Masku Church was dedicated to St. John the Babtist and St Ursula. The church is a building with a single nave and 4 vaults, which are decorated with frescoes from the 17th century.
The pulpit is from 1642, and it is a trophy from the 30-Years War in 1618-1648. There are also several medieval artefacts like crucifix and Silesian altarpiece located inside the church.
The organ with eight registers was built in neo-gothic style by J. A. Zachariassen of Uusikaupunki in 1885.
Near the church is also ”Humikkalan kalmisto”, an Iron Age burial ground.
Finnish National Board of Antiquities has described the church area as national built heritage.
The Lemu Church
The medieval greystone church is dedicated to St. Olav and was built in the 1450’s. Lemu was part of the great Nousiainen ancient parish, but parted to an independent administrative and ecclesiastical parish in the Middle Ages. When an episcopal church was erected in the old mother parish, a sanctuary consecrated to St. Olav was built also in Lemu.
First, a small wooden chapel was raised on Toijainen hill probably in the 13th century. An old crucifix and a baptismal font in the present church date back to those times. In the 14th century a small stone chapel was built and it now serves as the sacristy. In the 1430’s an imposing mediaeval stone church was erected, partly by the wealth of the noblemen, partly by the toil of the peasants.
There are several curiosities in the church, such as – the only one of its kind in Finnish churches – the coat of arms of Mauno Särkilahti (Stjernkors), a painting of Martin Luther, an old Bible and a note of Marshal Mannerheim’s participation in confirmation. The years 1380, 1450 and 1959 are marked in the church banner. The altarpiece ”The Resurrection” by von Becker dates back to the year 1880.
The church is open on agreement tel. +358 2 431 4709.
Kemppien tupa, located next to the medieval Lemu church is an old granary which was built in 1858. Originally, grains were stocked in the granary in case of bad harvests. The building was modified as a museum by architect Ilmari Wirkkala in 1951. The museum is owned by the local heritage society Lemun Kempit and it is open during Sundays at 11 to 14 o´clock in the summertime.
Mäntylä croft close to the medieval Lemu church is a former farm which is now owned by the local heritage society Lemun Kempit. The restored dwelling was built in year 1913 and the other buildings are a bit younger. In Mäntylä, you can organize meetings and events and in the summer time you can see horses and lambs grazing in the meadows.
Monnoistentie 38, 21230 Masku (Lemu)
The Askainen Church
This neoclassical church was built by the owner of Louhisaari Manor, Governor-general Herman Claes’son Fleming in 1653 as the chapel church of Louhisaari Manor. Later on, Louhisaari was long owned by the Mannerheim family, and Marshal Carl Gustav Mannerheim was born there. There is a funeral chapel of the Mannerheim family in the cemetery.
The Askainen noblemen’s church is part of the oldest tourist route in Finland, the Seven Churches Tour, together with Raisio, Masku, Nousiainen, Lemu, Merimasku and Naantali.
Knights of the Mannerheim Cross Park
The park is founded in honour of the Knights of the Mannerheim Cross and all the Finnish veterans. It is a unique distinction to the Knights and the whole generation of war veterans. The park was solemnly inaugurated for the 140th anniversary of Marshal C.G. E. Mannerheim in 2007.